Campaign Contributions – Results from First Filing
We are less than ten months away from the city’s local election on November 3, 2020, where we will be voting for mayor and two city council seats. The seats up for election are currently held by appointed Mayor Christina Shea, appointed Councilmember Mike Carroll, and Councilmember Melissa Fox, who is running for State Assembly District 68.
The filing deadline to run in this election is August 7, 2020.
Five candidates have opened campaign committees and are raising funds. The campaign contribution limits imposed by the City of Irvine per person/entity is $530.
Below are some of the financials for the fundraising period of 1/1/19 – 12/31/19. All of the City Council candidates took out a loan to help finance their campaign. This is money owed to themselves that will be paid back to through their committee.
Two candidates, Melissa Fox for City Council and Gang Chen for Mayor, have opened campaign committees but there is no fundraising activity to date.
Christina Shea (R)
- Total contributions received: $19,687
- Amount from loans: $0
- Total expenditures made: $4,582.94
- Remaining balance: $15,104.06
PAC donation – CA Real Estate and the Apartment Association of Orange County
CITY COUNCIL RACE:
Michael Carroll (R)*
- Total contributions received: $42,360
- Amount from loans: $500
- Total expenditures made: $4,179.83
- Remaining balance: $38,180.17
PAC donations: CA Real Estate and Apartment Association of Orange County
*Mr. Carroll’s political party affiliation switched from Republican to No Party Preference (NPP) in May of 2019. He switched his political party affiliation back to Republican in October 2019.
Lauren Johnson-Norris (D)
- Total contributions received: $34,058.43
- Amount from loans: $816.25
- Total expenditures made: $7,898.72
- Remaining balance: $26,159.71
PAC donations: 8 from Union Political Action Committees
Tammy Kim (D)
- Total contributions received: $43,663.26
- Amount from loans: $4,800
- Total expenditures made: $3,461.99
- Remaining balance: $40,201.27
Donations from the Korean American Democratic Committee and Women in Leadership
Carrie O’Malley (R)
- Total contributions received: $53,975.00
- Amount from loans: $35,000
- Total expenditures made: $13,632.25
- Remaining balance: $40,342.75
Donations from Bartlett for Supervisor 2018 Committee
To see the full list of donors for each candidate on their Campaign Disclosure Statements: https://public.netfile.com/pub2/Default.aspx?aid=COI
The next campaign contribution filing deadline is July 31, 2020. The Independent Expenditure (“dark money”) filing period begins 90 days prior to the election.