Great Park Board to Decide Wild Rivers Lease Terms and Location
Great Park Board Meeting – April 28, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
April Great Park Development Report
Link to eComment
Map shows the new proposed Wild Rivers site. To see entire map with zooming capabilities click here.
The Great Park Board is being asked to approve a ground lease with Wild Rivers on a 20-acre site in the Great Park. Wild Rivers and the City have been in negotiations since June 2017 to bring the water park to the Great Park. The proposed site is located southeast of the present intersection of Great Park Boulevard and Skyhawk. This site will require additional studies and review under the City’s zoning code and the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Under the proposed lease terms the City is responsible for the construction of adequate parking to serve the water park. Wild Rivers is responsible for the design and construction of the water park. Are the proposed lease terms favorable for the City?
Additional Great Park Development Updates:
- USA Water Polo Headquarters, Field House, Parking Structure
A Planning Commission workshop on these 3 components is scheduled for May 7th. The environmental review is in progress. Cost analysis for development and operations are underway. Will the community be the primary or secondary user of the aquatics building and the field house? What types of uses are planned for the facilities?
- Public Safety Joint Training Facility
Facility location was approved on March 24, 2020. Next steps are supplemental funding opportunities, and design and construction drawings.
- California Fire Museum -Safety Learning Center
Museum location was approved on March 24, 2020. Capital campaign underway. Design proposal due by end of 2020.
- Tenant Improvements
Shade structures and concession upgrades. Both upgrade projects budgeted at $2.1 million each.
- Ongoing and Potential Future Projects
Will the Great Park have three water features? Wild Rivers and Whitewater and a surf park?
Susan SayreApril 22, 2020 at 9:08 am
I have 2 issues with this agenda item.
1. Both Great Park Board Member Kuo and Great Park Director Russo personally informed me that Great Park development projects do not go before the planning commission or any other commission as the Board members function as commissioners for the Great Park. The Wild Rivers Staff report states that the Wild Rivers project will be presented to the Planning Commission. Why the change in policy?
2. As Covid 19 has had, and will continue to have, significant adverse impact upon the cash flow and budgets of local businesses as well as that of the City of Irvine, shouldn’t the Wild Rivers Site Change and Lease Agreement agenda item be continued until such time as the financial impact of Covid 19 has been determined.?
Comments are closed.