Irvine Watchdog Volunteer Opportunities – Will you join us?
Irvine Watchdog is a nonprofit Irvine-focused community publication. We advocate for greater transparency, honesty, and accountability in local government. We are, first and foremost, an independent local news source. Our volunteer writers produce informative and influential articles that help local readers stay informed and keep decision-makers in check.
As we expand our work, we invite you to join us. You do not need to be an activist or an expert; just be willing to write. If you share our passion for Irvine and want to help, we would love to hear from you.
Ways To Get Involved
- Article contributors – There are four options for this type of involvement:
- Take up a beat: Our volunteer writers choose an issue they care about and coordinate with our team to cover it regularly. Our regular beats include city council/commission meetings and Irvine-specific topics.
- Writer: A lot is going on in Irvine, and so much goes unreported. If you would like to receive assignments from our Editorial Board and write occasionally, this is for you.
- Opinions: You are invited to write opinion pieces on local nonpartisan issues. We encourage a diversity of viewpoints.
- Research or investigative reporting: We are growing our data and research efforts. Are you interested in digging into financials, campaign finance, or data analysis? This role is for you. Help us discover what they try to hide in the small print or bury in hundreds of pages of technical or hard-to-find documentation.
- Social media support: If you are interested in contributing but not sure where to start, cut your teeth at Watchdog by helping with our growing social media channels. It’s a great way to get familiar with the community and hot topics as you decide how to make your mark.
What We Offer Volunteers
- Mentorship: Our senior contributors have experience monitoring and documenting political goings-on in Irvine and are on hand to help you plan and edit your articles, connect you with sources, develop your research strategies, and more.
- A platform: Bring attention to what you care about on a reputable platform that attracts nearly 12,000 thousand highly engaged readers a month.
- A chance to bring about change for the better: The people of Irvine deserve elected officials and commissioners who are accountable to the electorate and make decisions in the public’s best interest. When you join the team, you play a key role in reminding our Irvine officials that the public is watching and helping push our local government toward more transparency, accountability, and honesty.
Complete our sign-up form here, and someone from the team will be in touch shortly.
Not interested, but know someone who might be? We appreciate referrals. Please send them this post and encourage them to check us out!