Irvine’s advisory commissions and committees provide many opportunities for residents to become involved in the City. As an advisory body, commissions and committees make recommendations to the City Council.
Community Services Commission
Advises the City Council regarding park, recreational and cultural programs that would be of interest and benefit to the City’s resident; advises on the development and improvement of the City’s recreational facilities.
Meets the 1st & 3rd Wednesday of each month
5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber
- Chair Kevin Trussell (Appointed by Donald P. Wagner)
- Commissioner Jennifer Assouad (Appointed by Christina Shea)
- Commissioner Lauren Johnson-Norris (Appointed by Melissa Fox)
- Commissioner Branda Lin (Appointed by Farrah N. Khan)
- Commissioner Dick Owens (Appointed by Anthony Kuo)
The City Council recognizes the importance of economic and financial affairs with regard to the proper functioning of the City. High importance is placed on citizen participation provided through a Finance Commission which has expertise in financial management.
Meets the 1st & 3rd Monday of each month
5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber
- Chair Russell Stein (Appointed by Donald P. Wagner)
- Commissioner Dale Cheema (Appointed by Farrah N. Khan)
- Commissioner Tanja Fournier (Appointed by Anthony Kuo)
- Commissioner Jim Shute (Appointed by Christina Shea)
- Commissioner Roger Sievers (Appointed by Melissa Fox)
Building and maintaining one of America’s most beautiful cities takes enormous management. The Planning Commission gives advice to the City Council in accordance with the community’s desired standards. Planning commission implements the City’s General Plan and Zoning Code through the review and approval of discretionary applications for land development; advises the City Council on amendments to the General Plan and Zoning Code.
Meets the 1st & 3rd Thursday of each month
5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber
- Commissioner Greg Smith (Appointed by Christina Shea)
- Commissioner Dustin Nirschl (Appointed by Melissa Fox)
- Commissioner Stephen Huang (Appointed by Farrah Khan)
- Commissioner Michael Carroll (Appointed by Anthony Kuo)
- Commissioner Jeff Pierson (Appointed by Donald P. Wagner)
Senior Citizens Council
The Senior Citizens Council advises the Irvine City Council on City policy matters that affect older adults and their families in Irvine.
Meetings are held at 9 a.m. on the third Thursdays of each month at the Lakeview Senior Center, with the exception of December.
- Carolyn Inmon, Chair
- Sima Ranjbar, Vice Chair
- Jerry Chang
- Juneu Kim
- Kevin Kondru
- Harish Murthy
- Rachel Owens
This commission comprised of Irvine residents bolsters the City’s focus on improving traffic management, transit planning, and traffic safety by providing the community with additional access to a policy advisory body dedicated exclusively to transportation.
Meets the 1st & 3rd Tuesday of each month
5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber
- Chair Steve Greenberg (Appointed by Christina Shea)
- Vice Chair Carrie O’Malley (Appointed by Donald P. Wagner)
- Commissioner Rose Casey (Appointed by Jeffrey Lalloway)
- Commissioner Ken Montgomery (Appointed by Melissa Fox)
- Commissioner Sandy Moody (Appointed by Lynn Schott)
BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
The City of Irvine strives to create a safe community where children, youth and families thrive emotionally, physically, academically and socially.
Meets quarterly to review and evaluate the City of Irvine’s Strategic Plan for Children, Youth and Families. Meetings are held 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Irvine Civic Center.
- Cristina Blevins, Committee Member (Irvine Unified School District Representative)
- Wendy Bokota, Committee Member (Irvine Prevention Coalition Representative)
- Gerardo Canul, Committee Member (Member-At-Large)
- Theresa Collins, Committee Member (Appointed by: Councilmember Shea)
- Joanne Farrell, Committee Member (Tustin Unified School District Representative)
- Diane Gale, Committee Member (Member-At-Large)
- Tony Kam, Committee Member (High School Youth Action Team Representative)
- Zhihai Li, Committee Member (Appointed by: Councilmember Fox)
- Dick Owens, Committee Member (Community Services Representative)
- Barbara Quinlan, Committee Member (Appointed by: Councilmember Lalloway)
- Jade Yang, Committee Member (Irvine Child Care Committee Representative)
- Britney Zhang, Committee Member (High School Youth Action Team Representative)
- Marisa Lo, Secretary (Appointed by: Councilmember Schott)
- Lauren Johnson-Norris, Co-Chair (Community Services Representative)
- CC Perkinson, Co-Chair (Appointed by: Mayor Wagner)
The Child Care Committee is an advisory body of the City of Irvine, reporting to the Community Services Commission, providing input on the needs of the community pertaining to child care related issues. The Committee’s mission is to develop recommendations related to the availability of affordable quality child care and early education in Irvine. The Committee works collaboratively with City departments and community organizations to enhance the provision of child care and early education services, providing outreach, and serving as a liaison to the community by informally sharing information learned at meetings, promoting City events for families and early childhood educators and sharing questions, concerns and ideas from the community with the Committee.
Meets 2nd Tuesday of select months. 9 a.m. at Heritage Park Community Center or other designated location.
- Dawn Antis, Committee Member (Council Appointee-Fox)
- Joshua Arnaldo, Committee Member (Parent Representative)
- Cristina Blevins, Committee Member (Irvine Unified School District Appointee)
- Linda Hunter, Committee Member (Community Representative)
- Tyrone Ledford, Committee Member (Irvine Valley College Appointee)
- Dayna Money, Committee Member (Council Appointee-Shea)
- Jessica Winn, Committee Member (Provider Representative)
- Jenny Woo, Committee Member (Parent Representative)
- Dr. Seema Choudhary, Committee Member (Council Appointee-Khan)
- Vacant, Committee Member (Council Appointee-Kuo)
- Vacant, Committee Member (Council Appointee- Wagner)
- Vacant, Committee Member (Community Representative)
- Wenli Lin, Vice Chair (University of California, Irvine Appointee)
- Donna Schwartze, Chair (Provider Representative)
The Green Ribbon Environmental Committee seeks to increase public participation in energy conservation and sustainable practices, helping the City serve the community through advancing environmental policy initiatives and programs. The Committee is supported by the Public Works Department. It advises the City Council on matters related to climate protection, energy, recycling and waste management, sustainability, transportation, and water, as well as environmental and energy goals that are stated in the General Plan and related documents.
The Committee meets quarterly on the third Tuesday of the appropriate month, or as needed, at 4:30 p.m. at Irvine City Hall.
- Councilmember Melissa Fox (appointed by City Council)
- Planning Commissioner Dustin Nirschl (appointed by Planning Commission)
- Salem Afeworki (member-at-large, appointed by City Council)
- Bemmy Maharramli (member-at-large, appointed by City Council)
- Gang Chen (appointed by Mayor Pro Tem Christina L. Shea)
- Senait Forthsal (appointed by Councilmember Farrah N. Khan)
- Norm Kisamov (appointed by Mayor Donald P. Wagner)
- Richard Prince (appointed by Councilmember Melissa Fox)
Investment Advisory Committee
Oversees the management of the investment portfolio through regular quarterly meetings. The Committee will review investment transactions, discuss economic conditions and strategies regarding the management of the portfolio, and report to individual Council-members on the meetings.
Meets quarterly at 4:00 p.m., generally on Wednesdays unless it conflicts with a Finance Commission Meeting.
- Chair Carlos Carney (Appointed by Anthony Kuo)
- Vice Chair Fred Judd (Appointed by Melissa Fox)
- Committee Member Steve Shen (Appointed by Christina Shea)
- Committee Member Dr. Lee Sun (Appointed by Farrah N. Khan)
- Committee Member Mark Newgent (Appointed by Donald P. Wagner)
Irvine Aquatics Advisory Board
The Irvine Aquatics Advisory Board meets on a quarterly basis. Meetings are held on Wednesdays at 6 p.m.
Board members include representatives from the following organizations:
- Irvine Novaquatics
- Irvine Meraquas
- Irvine Swim League
- Irvine Unified School District
- Irvine Water Polo Club
- North Irvine Water Polo Club
Irvine Public Facilities Corporation
The Irvine Public Facilities Corporation meets as needed at Irvine City Hall.
- Dale Cheema (Board member)
- Tanja Fournier (Board member)
- Jim Shute (Board member)
- Roger Sievers (Board member)
- Russell Stein (Chair)
Irvine Residents with Disabilities Advisory Board
IRDAB’s mission is identifying and recommending programs and services meeting the physical and social needs of residents who have disabilities, regardless of age. The Board provides advocacy and support for programs related to community needs and propose recommendations to a variety of City departments. IRDAB also works collaboratively with vital community organizations.
IRDAB meetings are held the first Tuesday of every month at 6 p.m. at the Irvine Civic Center, 1 Civic Center Plaza Irvine, CA 92606, unless noted differently below. Meetings are open to the public.
- Justin Choi (Board member)
- Andrea Drayer (Board member)
- Gregory Felix (Board member)
- David Gibbons (Board member)
- Fran Gustin (Board member)
- Paul Harvey (Board member)
- Kay Kalra (Board member)
- June Mclaughlin (Board member)
- Dayna Money (Board member)
- Dennis Niggl (Board member)
- Richard Robert (Board member)
- Barbara Stern (Board member)
- Carol Constantin (Vice Chair)
- Meena Chockalingam (Chair)
Irvine Sports Committee
Serves in an advisory capacity to the Community Services Commission, conveying the needs of the community pertaining to youth sports programs and ensuring equitable allocation of athletic facilities and maximum participation for all.
Meets quarterly at Quail Hill Community Center.
- Dough Birozy, Committee Member (AYSO Region 213*)
- Brian Foster, Committee Member (AYSO Region 144*)
- Eric Spivey, Committee Member (Irvine Baseball Club)
- Clint Collins, Committee Member (Irvine Dolphins Baseball Club)
- Frank Fortier, Committee Member (Irvine Futbol Club*)
- Dean Hoang, Committee Member (Irvine Girls Softball Association*)
- Dick Owens, Committee Member (Irvine Knights Baseball Club)
- Dianne Tanger, Committee Member (Irvine Pony Baseball*)
- Erik Peterson, Committee Member (Irvine Ranch Little League*)
- Doug Euper, Committee Member (Irvine Rancheros Baseball Club)
- Tina Wang, Committee Member (Irvine Rangers Lacrosse*)
- Chris Dallas, Committee Member (Irvine Travel Softball)
- Michael Pickell, Committee Member (Irvine Youth Basketball League*)
- Paul King, Committee Member (Irvine Youth Football*)
- Dave Brown, Committee Member (LA Galaxy OC*)
- Ryan Bertoni, Committee Member (Matt Leinart Flag Football*)
- Jerry Lehman, Committee Member (No Limits Baseball)
- Eddie Ollmann, Committee Member (Northwood Little League*)
- Gary Wood, Committee Member (OC Fury Youth Baseball)
- Bart Hess, Committee Member (Orange County United FC)
- Michelle McNab, Committee Member (Rox Baseball*)
- Larry Michaels, Committee Member (Ryan Lemmon Foundation)
- Alex Guenette, Committee Member (Simply Pure Baseball)
- Cary Lambeth, Committee Member (So Cal Elite Sports, Basketball)
- Don Ebert*, Committee Member (Strikers FC lrvine*)
- Dan Brady, Committee Member (Member-At-Large*)
- James Bailey, Committee Member (Member-At-Large*)
- Miram Gelfand, Committee Member (Member-At-Large*)
- Richard Robert, Committee Member (Member-At-Large*)
- Cary Lambeth, Vice Chair (So Cal Elite Sports, Volleyball*)
- Jon Szczuka, Chair (Pateadores Irvine*)
North Irvine Transportation Mitigation Committee
The North Irvine Transportation Mitigation Program (the “NITM Program”) is established for the purpose of providing funding for the coordinated and phased installation of required traffic and transportation improvements required under CEQA documents previously certified or adopted by the City in connection with land use entitlements.
The North Irvine Transportation Mitigation Committee meets as needed at the Irvine Civic Center.
According to the last meeting agenda, members are:
- Chair Scott Smith (Acting Director of Public Works, City of Irvine)
- Mark Linsenmayer (Director of Transportation, City of Irvine)
- John Boslet (Irvine Company)
- Jennifer Bohen (Heritage Fields El Toro, LLC)
Regular meetings of the Orange County Great Park Board take place on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 2:00 p.m.
- Chairman Donald P. Wagner
- Vice Chairwoman Melissa Fox
- Director Farrah N. Khan
- Director Anthony Kuo
- Director Christina Shea
The Subdivision Committee is a technical review committee comprised of managerial staff representing Community Development, Public Works, and Community Services Departments. The Committee is the approval authority for parcel maps and a recommending body to the Planning Commission for approval of tentative tract maps. http://legacy.cityofirvine.org/council/comms/subdivision/default.asp
Meetings are held the second and fourth Wednesday of the month at 9:00 a.m. The public is welcome to attend.
- William Jacobs, Chair
- Kam Chitalia, Committee Member
- Sun-Sun Murillo, Committee Member
- Steve Sherwood, Committee Member
- Darlene Nicandro, Committee Member
The Zoning Administrator is the City official responsible for determining whether a proposed project complies with the requirements and intent of the Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Administrator has the authority to approve, approve with conditions or modifications, or deny various discretionary applications; all of which require a public hearing.
The Zoning Administrator meets at 1:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month at the Irvine City Hall. The public is welcome to attend.
Community Development Principal Planner Bill Jacobs serves as the City’s Zoning Administrator and can be reached at 949-724-6521.
Ad Hoc Task Force to Review Housing Needs of Developmentally Disabled was dissolved by the Task Force itself on October 6, 2015.
Ad Hoc Veterans Affordable Housing Committee was dissolved by the City Council on November 10, 2015.
Irvine Educational Partnership Fund Advisory Committee was dissolved by the City Council on January 26, 2016.